Friday, November 26, 2010

Turkey Trot 2010.....My First 5K!

Yesterday morning I ran/walked my first ever 5K with my Dad! I was excited to finally run a race and really see how good I could do. My dad, although a much better runner than I am, told me we'd stick together during the race and we did (we even had the exact same time). We finished at 43:28.....I was really hoping for 40 minutes or less, but for my lack of training I'm happy with it overall. Our pace was 14 minute miles.....everyone agreed I need to work on walking faster....I have a problem with slowing down too much after I run, because I swear I normally walk at a pretty brisk pace.
On the start of Thursday morning I woke up to eggs and toast, a treat I've been missing the last couple months from my dad. My friend Sam met my family at our house and we all drove over to the Holiday Inn.....the start of the race. My mom and my brother got up to take pictures and watch us cross the finish line :) There were people in Turkey hats and some dressed up as pilgrims....maybe next year we'll have to dress up. It was 9 in the morning and we were all bundled up.

                                Sam and I keeping warm and ready pre-race

Sam started out with us and soon broke away at her own pace...she finished at 29:32 (Congrats Samantha!). Hopefully next time I'll get under 10 minute miles.

                         Another pre-race picture of the three trotters......we all look really cold

It's northern Michigan and the weather is unpredictable, but it ended up being in the high 30's and just a little drizzly. When we got to the last mile I was dying of heat and had to peel off my gloves and ear warmer..... pretty sure my dad did the same thing.
During the whole thing I tried to run as much as I could and wanted to push myself. At the last mile I begged my dad to do run a minute/walk a minute with me....but he wasn't very good at timing it....I should have grabbed a watch for myself. The end of the race was such a tease too because I could see the finish line but then we had to run across the street, down a path, under the bridge and around to the end. When we got around I just started sprinting and almost left my dad in the dust, he was not ready for my completely random burst of energy. I just wanted to get the race over with at that point.

                                                 We're almost done!!!

We didn't even get a post race picture.....I'm a little bummed. The water and trail mix after were a nice energy boost....we walked around for a bit and then headed home.

After a nice shower, my family headed out to my grandmother's house for the big meal....complete with mashed potatoes, stuffing, turkey, grape salad, green bean casserole.....all the good stuff. I was thankful for being able to see everyone and spending the day catching up and of course watching football.....go Patriots! Hope everyone else had a wonderful Thanksgiving with loved ones as well, and didn't wake up too early to go shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment