Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Beauty in the World

Tonight I met my cousin Ari for dessert and coffee at The Pie Company's new location next to Horizon Books. It looks so nice in there and my slice of pie was DELICIOUS! Strawberry Rhubarb!


After we met up with Gabby and Sam to go to the Friday Night movie at the State Theater. They were playing American Beauty. It was Ari and Sam's first time seeing the movie; I always love watching people's reactions to certain things.....such as the endings. American Beauty is one of those movies that every time you watch it, you learn something new from it. It had been a while since I last saw it and I don't think I fully appreciated all that the movie had to offer before. Re-watching the movie at a little bit of an older age and a different point in my life has changed my perspective on the film. American Beauty is the type of movie that everyone, at any point, can relate to and get something out of. All the characters in the movie, who seem to live these slightly exaggerated and crazy lives, are actually incredibly relatable in the emotions that they feel. Kevin Spacey tends to creep me out big time, he's just one of those people that plays a lot of slightly twisted characters, but after watching this movie a few times I've actually begun to see Lester Burnham in more of a....positive light (if that's the right word). 

If you haven't already seen American Beauty, it's definitely one that everyone should watch at least once in their lifetime; and if you have seen the movie, you should watch it again and see if any of your thoughts toward it have changed.

"I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday."- Lester Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment