Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Giving it up

Today is the start of lent, and although I'm not Catholic, I like to get in on the action by finding something to give up during this time. In years past I've given up oreos  (actually for a few years in a row....although I failed the second time), pop, and fast food. When I gave up pop in high school I learned to live without it and soon realized I didn't even like pop in the first place. The same thing happened with fast food, and up until after I graduated the only thing I would purchase there were drinks. I went through this really long time where I was completely disgusted with fast food restaurants and would want to throw up upon entering one.
Some how now, I've gotten back in to eating at McDonald's and Burger King again without concern and drinking as much pop as I want. Both of these changes make me angry and disappointed in myself. Not only are these unhealthy, unnecessary choices, but I still don't particularly like the taste of either of them.

That's why this year I decided to give up both, in hopes that my body and mind will realize how unworthy fast food and pop is for my survival. Does that mean that I won't get shamrock shakes... YEAH RIGHT! Those aren't going anywhere (probably what I really should be giving up).

So bye bye for the next 40 days fast food and pop, hopefully you'll be gone for good.

And I just want to point out that I these are things I do eat and drink often and love(at the moment) so this will be no easy task for me.

RIP Mountain Dew addiction.

you will be missed.

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." - Benjamin Franklin

Quick Note: I was looking up who actually said this and was really surprised it was Ben Franklin, I just wasn't expecting it.

Do you participate in lent? If so, what are you giving up this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment