Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Alice

One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carroll

I came across this exert from Alice in Wonderland earlier and it reminded me of my own life. For me, college has been a constant struggle of decision making. One minute I know exactly what I want to do and where I want my life to go and the next it's all a jumble again. In my Modern Social Problems class today we watched this video from Target Women about Barbie, where they make fun of the multitude of careers Barbie has had. Think about it, she's been a doctor, a nurse, a flight attendant, and a fashion designer just to name a few. Clearly Barbie didn't have her life figured out either, but there's no way I'm following in her footsteps. I know that what I decide today, tomorrow, or even this year can be changed in the future and that a degree in general should be my goal.
 doctor-barbie.jpg
(source)
Unlike Barbie, we all don't have a million different chances. The path that we choose, whether we know now which one we want or not, will greatly effect the direction of our future. All I know currently, is that where ever I end up, I want to help people. I want to make an impact on the world and strive to better people and society. I want to travel and experience cultures that are vastly different than my own; and I think all of these are goals in which every college student (or really people in general) strives to achieve in their lifetime. 


I guess in reality whatever path we choose, we all end up in the same place anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment