Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A to Z Book Survey

The survey originally comes from The Perpetual Page-Turner and I discovered it thanks to The Daily Simple. I liked the idea of this survey so much I had to try it out myself.

It's currently thunder storming outside so I made myself some coffee and have been curled up with my book for the better part of this morning. It hasn't stormed this hard in a while (at least not during the day when I'm conscious) and the house is literally shaking every time the thunder cracks.

Author you've read the most from:
I believe it's J. K. Rowling.

Best Sequel Ever:
I can't even think of any sequels I've read. I really loved Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets though. Does that count since it's the second book?

Currently Reading:
Angels & Demons. I'm usually reading 4 or 5 different books at once, but I'm trying to finish off my last August TBR before adding anything else.

Drink of Choice While Reading:
Coffee. Tea is close second.

E-reader or Physical Book:
Physical book. I know a lot of people argue that E-readers are so much nicer for travel and less clutter, which I agree are both good points, but I love the feel of a book. I like holding an actual book, seeing books on my bookshelf, and being able to smell books.

Fictional character you probably would have actually dated in high school:
Ron Weasley. He's funny, ginger, and has an English accent.

Glad you gave this book a chance:
The Odyssey. I read this for a Classics Literature class in college and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the story. I want to re-read this again because I feel like I missed a lot while trying to finish it quickly for class.

Hidden Gem Book:
A Rose for Melinda by Lurlene McDaniel. I bought this book back in junior high (maybe elementary school) on a trip downstate for my annual doctors appointment. I remember choosing the book because it had pointe shoes on the cover and I thought the style of the book was interesting (written in a series of emails/letters/journal entries). I spent the whole car ride home reading and silently crying in the backseat. This one is definitely a tear jerker.

Important moment in your reading life:
Deciding to finish the Harry Potter series. The books renewed my love of reading.

Just Finished:
The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. It was good, but not as amazing as I was expecting. I liked his actual lecture a lot better.

Kinds of books you won't read:
Probably western novels. I've never really been interested in that genre.

Longest Book You've Read:
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (870 pages)

Major book hangover because of:
I hate finishing books. I think the last book that I really had a hard time being done with was Looking for Alaska. I finished the book back in June and still miss being with those characters.

Number of bookcases you own:
I don't own an actual bookcase. I have my books scattered around my room on six different shelves.

One book you have read multiple times:
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe/any book from the Chronicles of Narnia series. Because this was one of my Mom's all-time favorite series, these were the books my brother and I were raised on. I have many fond memories of my Mom reading the series to me as a child. I've also read the series/parts of the series multiple times on my own.

Preferred Place to Read:
My bed. I like to be comfortable.

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you've read:
“I think that if I ever have kids, and they are upset, I won't tell them that people are starving in China or anything like that because it wouldn't change the fact that they were upset. And even if somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have.” From Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. Basically anything from this book.

Reading Regret:
Not reading more for my own enjoyment in high school/waiting so long to finish the Harry Potter series. I was so busy with dance in grade school that I didn't have much time to read for pleasure on top of what was assigned for class.

I started Harry Potter when it first came out (I was in elementary school) and read the first 4 books before putting the series on hold. It wasn't until I was in college and the 6th movie was coming out that I decided to read the entire series.

Series you started and need to finish:
Ender's Game. I read the first book earlier this summer and need to read the next one before I forget everything that happened.

Three of your all-time favorite books:
The Catcher In The Rye, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and Perks of Being A Wallflower. I think I have a thing for sad and depressing books lol.

Unapologetic Fangirl For:
John Green. Love, love, love everything John Green writes. I had a really hard time picking between Perks and Looking for Alaska for the above favorites.

Very excited for this release more than all the others:
The only book I can think of right now is Allegiant, the next book in Veronica Roth's Divergent series, but I still have yet to read Insurgent.

Worst Bookish Habit:
Reading so many books at once. I get very ADD about my books and can never seem to focus all my energy into finishing one at a time.

X Marks the Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:
I used my "books I own" shelf on goodreads for this one since, like I said before, my books are scattered all around my room. The 27th book on my shelf is The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks. It's still on my to-read list.

Your Latest Book Purchase:
The last book I bought was The Ocean At the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.

ZZZ-Snatcher Book (Last book that kept you up way late):
Angels & Demons. I stayed up until 3:30 am the other night reading because I couldn't put this book down.

Well, there you have it. Hope you enjoyed reading through my answers. I encourage all other book lovers to take the survey too!

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment