Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Avett Brothers Concert

On Monday night, July 1st, I got to see one of my all time favorite bands in concert for the first time. When I heard that The Avett Brothers would be playing as a part of Interlochen's Summer Arts Festival this year, it was my mission to get tickets. The band had played in Kalamazoo the first year I was down there for school and I couldn't find anyone to go with me at the time. Missing that concert had been a real disappointment for me and I promised I wouldn't let myself miss out on them again.

Luckily for me, after explaining my previous loss and my love of the band to my parents, they decided to get tickets as an early birthday present (my bday is mid July). I was a little disappointed initially because I had narrowly missed out on presale tickets that were closer to the stage than the ones my mom ended up getting, but sometimes you just have to realize no matter where you are in the crowd a concert will be special in it's own way. Besides, if I had gotten the tickets right away we wouldn't have been able to share the concert as a family. 

Me and my mom pre-concert

Before the concert we got sandwiches from a local deli and tailgated along with my brother and his girlfriend. It was a gorgeous day and the perfect temperature. I could not have asked for better weather or a better night.

Pre-concert stage

When we found our seats, I think we all were a little surprised to find how well we could see and how close we were to the center. Interlochen is such a great venue, the sides are cropped out of this picture but just beyond the stage on either side is the water. The sun set during the concert and being able to watch that happen as a back drop to such amazing musical talent was just perfect.

One thing I've always loved about watching videos of The Avett Brothers perform live is the amount of energy they seem to bring to every performance. They dance, jump, play, stomp, and clap with such enthusiasm that no matter where you are watching you can feel it. Their energy becomes so infectious that you can't help but join them. 

I was a little bummed I forgot to bring my actual camera and this was the best I could do with my phone. Oh well.

They sang just about all my favorite songs (really everything besides Weight of Lies) which made me a very, very happy person. I was a pretty overexcited fan girl during most of the concert. 

Seth singing The Ballad of Love and Hate

Probably two of their most popular songs are two of my favorite songs, those being Laundry Room and I and Love and You, which were both played. They performed Laundry Room some time near the middle of the set but waited to play I and Love and You; when the opening cords to the song started playing I immediately squeezed my mom's hand, wrapped my arms around her, and we sang along while I tried my best to keep myself from crying. Even at 23, it was a special moment to share with my parents, people who I love and who will always love me. 

Overall I think it was one of the best nights of my entire life. If you haven't heard of The Avett Brothers definitely go check them out and if they ever have a concert near you make sure to go, they will not disappoint. As my mother put it best, "anyone who likes music will like them."

No comments:

Post a Comment