Tuesday, June 14, 2011

When Bad turns to Good

One thing about starting a day off badly is the high chance that it can only go up from there. Yesterday was one of those days for me. I woke up to a horrible beginning and ended on a much better note. My morning consisted of money problems, an empty gas tank, a traffic jam due to road construction, and an overall feeling of anxiety.

When I finally got to my painting class it seemed to get a little bit better. The class doesn't seem like it will be too bad, although I was not anticipating presentations and such, which make it seem a little less fun than it should be. We can choose whether to use oil paints or acrylics, but I'm leaning more towards acrylics. As much as I'd love to try oil painting, it seems like I'd have to have all this extra stuff and that it'd be more difficult in the long run. Maybe I'll save that for another day. I was also really surprised when he had us analyze different slides of art work. I felt like I was back in Art History again discussing the meanings and techniques of paintings like Rembrandt's Night Watch.



It is fun to hear everyone's interpretation and thoughts on each piece though. My teacher was really intense about the directions your eyes move through each painting we looked at. For example the Night Watch seems to work your eye around in an almost spiral-like motion starting with the girl. Although this painting has been damaged (which I think is why it's so dark), I actually like it that way so the contrasts with the light seem that much more intense.

After class got let out, I went to finish up some work with my dad and put gas in my van (I'm not even going to get into my cursed gas pumping experiences). Then I went to see Sandy!!! This is the first time I've seen her since the Bayshore race and the first time I saw her knew apartment. We decided to get Qdoba for dinner and watch The Sound of Music. That movie will never get old, it brings back memories of watching it as a child with my mom. I love the music and pretty much know all the words. As a child I always assumed that when people fell in love they'd sing and dance together.....yeah, that's crushed. I just love all their costumes in this movie and I wish that people still got together for classy parties and danced elegant dances that everyone knew.




This picture is so perfect and the fact that they get together in the end makes me so happy.



Liesl's dress during 16 going on 17 was/is my dream dress. I love the way the skirt moves and the lightness of it. I have this slight obsession with skirts and the way they move when you dance in them.



Source for above photos

And of course it wouldn't be me talking about a movie if I didn't point out how attractive Christopher Plummer is in it. His voice.... :)

I had totally forgotten how long of a movie it was though, that's probably the only thing wrong with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment