Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Can we talk about how much I love apples?

It's funny how much I disliked apples as a kid. Looking back on my childhood, I disliked a lot of foods that I love now. I think it's a fairly common occurrence, but it seems like a weird concept to me. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Wouldn't it make more sense if we started off liking/eating a larger variety of foods and then over the years cut out those items we don't care for?

(source) because I'm too lazy to take my own pictures at the moment.

Anyway I'm not really here to discuss the oddities of human nature, but to tell you just how much I love apples! I was pretty giddy on Saturday when my parents brought home a bag of red, juicy apples from the farmer's market. Apple season is upon us and I could not be more happy to see one of my favorite locally grown fruit. I'm still not the biggest fan of Granny Smiths but any of the red varieties usually appeal to me. Apples make for the best snacks, eat them plain or cut up with peanut butter, they fill you right up.

Unlike most of my other favorite foods, apples also happen to be good for you (Jeah boi!!!) Can't go wrong folks. I even came across this post on the Free People blog the other day about the some of the benefits of eating apples. Boost your immune system... maybe that will help my ear heal faster (one can only hope). Also consider me on board with anything that improves memory and could possibly ward off Alzheimer's.


I think my goals for autumn are to go apple picking and to bake an apple pie (maybe some homemade applesauce?). I'm also super excited about hot apple cider and harvest chai season. There are definitely benefits to being back home in Traverse City. Appreciate the resources you have around you and don't forget to eat some apples! After all, an apple a day keeps the doctor away :)

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment