Tuesday, September 3, 2013

August Favorites

Here are a few of my favorite things during the month of August.

- Person: Sarah Kay
I know Sarah Kay has been well known in the poetry world for a while now, but I just got into her work at the end of July. That meant I spent most of August watching a large majority of Sarah's spoken word poetry performances on Youtube. If you've never heard of Sarah Kay, or given spoken word poetry a chance, I'd recommend you start here.




And lastly her awesome TED talk.


- Book: Angels & Demons

After years of having this book on my shelf I finally got around to reading it. My mom and brother have read all of the Robert Langdon books since they started coming out. When they became popular, I was in high school and I rarely ever had time to read books for leisure. Despite already having seen both of the movies with my family, I still wanted to read the books at some point.

I'm so happy I finally got around to reading Angels and Demons this past month. Luckily it's been years since I've seen the movie and I forgot most of the plot. I know the book has been quite controversial, but I really enjoyed the story. The book was a perfect mixture of science, history, art, and the ever lingering questions of religion and faith.

- TV: Being Human (UK version)
I started watching Being Human this month. I knew the UK version was the original and had no desire to watch the US one (seeing as we typically ruin all the good UK shows). I can't say I've been completely obsessed with this show like I've been with other ones, but I do love it.


For those of you who've never heard of Being Human, the show is about a vampire, a werewolf, and a ghost that try living together in a London flat. There's plenty of drama and brooding amongst the group. Plus Aiden Turner in it, which is what originally drew me to the show. I only just finished season two, but the show definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat. I also just really love how their relationships have evolved one another. I can't wait to see where things go next.

Fresh faced beauties.

- Beauty: L'Oreal Elnett Satin Hairspray


I've been using more products in my hair since cutting it off at the beginning of the month. One of the products I was in desperate need of was a good hairspray. After googling for a bit for the best reviews, I decided to try the Elnett Satin kind from L'Oreal. This stuff doesn't leave your hair feeling overly sticky or crusty. My hair stays in place but doesn't look like it's completely immobile. The other nice thing about this hairspray is that it comes out just by combing or running your fingers through your hair. The only thing I'm not too keen on is the smell of this hairspray; I've also been choosing to ignore the list of ingredients to avoid seeing how unhealthy this product might be for me. Oh well, I'm still really loving this hairspray for now and the negatives don't cancel out any of the things I like about the product.

- Music:

Clairvoyant by The Story So Far

Last month I seemed to have a renewed sense of love for The Story So Far. I got into the band last year during a pop punk phase and sort of forgot about them since. Fortunately I rediscovered the band via their new cd that came out in March. I'm a little late to the party, but it's oh sooo good.

Shiver Shiver by Walk the Moon

I finally started getting into some of the songs off of their self titled cd from last summer. This song has definitely been my go to for a put me in a good mood/dance around the kitchen beat.

Walk the Moon has been a favorite of mine for a while now. I discovered them back in 2010 before they had much of a following. Now you can't even buy their I Want! I Want! cd off of iTunes anymore. Anna Sun was their first song I heard and immediately fell in love with. Last year when the band became largely popular due to the song (which they definitely deserved) I could barely go anywhere without it blaring in my ears. Anna Sun will never be the same for me, it was like the song was corrupted. I don't like being one of those people who feels the need to declare her love of a band "before they became popular," but I definitely feel the need to do so on most occasions. I am certainly not the biggest fan or the first person to ever discover any band, but I try hard to constantly find new music. It seems the radio mentality of playing the same 20 songs over and over again has a way of ruining any song.

I'm the King by Six Def

I found this song while watching Suits this summer. TV shows are a great place to find new music.

Hacienda Motel by Pickwick

An oldie but goody! I wrote a post about Pickwick earlier this year and got back into them during August. This is definitely my favorite song from them.

Empty Space by The Story So Far

Another amazing song from The Story So Far. I really could not get enough of them this past month.

What were your favorite things this month?

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment