Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I Admit It: It's Silly

I have a confession. Today was the first day in my entire 23 years of existence that I made my own doctor's appointment. I mean who cares really that I avoided doing this for an entire month even with a possible ear infection and probably a bad cold. The only thing that matters now is that I did do it.


I know it's silly to be proud of yourself for making appointments on the phone. I mean there's people who have been doing stuff like this for themselves since they were 15 (or whenever), but that has never been me. Talking on the phone with people has always given me the worst anxiety (like heart pounding, short of breathe, overly sweaty, unable to speak words type of panic). I'd much rather make an appointment in person that over the phone (which is probably opposite of most people). Don't get me wrong, this isn't the first time I've ever called a business or made an appointment over the phone, but there's something about making a doctor's appointment that really makes me feel like an adult.

I don't know what it is about talking to people on the phone that freaks me out so much. It's clearly all problems I've made up in my head (like so many other problems in my life). My mom started pressuring me to make appointments for myself when I was in high school and I always refused or got out of it somehow. I think I'm just destined to be late to the game in every aspect of life, which I wouldn't say is necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes a task that seems so easy to some people can be another person's nightmare (that's why you shouldn't dwell on comparing your life to others). I just feel like I accomplished something that I wasn't sure I was capable of doing.



Half of the battle is having confidence in yourself and today was like a little victory in that department. Plus the more you do something you're afraid of doing, the easier it will be in the future.

Have you done anything you were afraid to do recently?

-S

2 comments:

  1. Our university health center prefers appointment booking over the internet. So...every once and awhile, you don't need to explain your weird condition to the secretary over the phone...while on the bus ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that does seem like a better way to go about things. The bus is awkward enough without having to make personal phone calls lol.

      Delete