Thursday, September 15, 2016

I'm Still Learning

Top: Express (similar), Pants: American Eagle (similar), Shoes: DSW (similar)


On Monday I learned that photographing yourself is much more difficult than it seems. 

After last Thursday's mirror selfies, I was ready to experiment this week. My goal was to find a way to take interesting outfit photos on my own without having to rely on another person. If my future blog plans involved more clothes, I didn't want to be limited to one space. Taking advantage of my camera's self-timer feature allowed me to ditch the mirror, but it wasn't as straight forward as I thought it would be.

Originally, I planned on taking pictures with my Nikon camera, but after failing to find a good set up I switched to my phone instead. When you're trying to solve a problem on a time crunch it's easier to go with the less complicated option. At first the lighting wasn't right. Then I couldn't find a place to prop my phone without cutting off half of my body. When I finally found a solution, my next challenge was understanding the way the self-timer worked. 



 


I took a lot of photographs and none of them turned out great. Most of the pictures look the same. They're all a little grainy and taken from almost identical angles. Despite my disappointment with the finished product, I had fun. You know what they say, "if at first you don't succeed..."



After I took these pictures, I couldn't decide if they were worth sharing. Was there a point to publishing a post with less than stellar photographs? Absolutely. Most of the pictures I've shared since starting this blog haven't been great. If I waited until my photography skills (let alone my writing skills) were mastered, I'd never publish another post.

I've made a lot of excuses for not blogging lately. I have no good ideas. I'm too tired or too busy. I don't have the right face/body type to blog about beauty and fashion. I don't have anyone to take photographs of me. I have no original ideas. I'm not creative enough. The list goes on and on. I'm sick of making excuses.

So, like I said before, I'm going to be posting more often on the topic of fashion. The pictures won't be great, maybe not even good, but there will be pictures. I'm sure many of the outfits will seem incomplete or lacking in comparison to some other, more experienced, style bloggers (I wouldn't even calling myself that yet). This blog and I have come along way, but we still have a long way to go. Everything takes time. All I'm aiming for is to have fun and share my love for clothes with you. Hopefully that's enough.


-S

No comments:

Post a Comment