Thursday, May 7, 2015

Top Played Updated 2015

Well hello there,

Three years ago I shared a list of my top 25 most played songs in iTunes and I figured it was now time for an update. There are quite a few songs on this list that overlap with the previous list, but then again the two are surprisingly different. When I look at the 25 songs below I can still pin point when each one joined the group. All the songs have a different meaning or memory that I can connect to the different parts of my life. For that reason, this list seems more like a representation of myself than anything else I could create.

1. Nicest Thing by Kate Nash - 143 plays
2. Re: Stacks by Bon Iver - 136 plays
3. Skinny Love by Bon Iver - 135 plays
4. Winter by Joshua Radin - 131 plays
5. What Sarah Said by Death Cab for Cutie - 122 plays
6. World Spins Madly On by The Weepies - 122 plays
7. Wrapped In Piano Strings by Radical Face - 117 plays
8. Laundry Room by The Avett Brothers - 116 plays *
9. The Outdoor Type by The Lemonheads- 116 plays
10. I and Love and You by The Avett Brothers - 113 plays
11. Grey Street by Dave Matthews Band - 112 plays
12. Sunday Kind of Love by Etta James - 109 plays
13. Sleeping Sickness by City and Colour - 108 plays
14. I'm In Need by Mike Hale - 108 plays
15. I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Death Cab for Cutie - 107 plays
16. We Sing In Time by The Lonely Forest - 100 plays
17. This Town by Joe Purdy - 99 plays
18. Jesus Christ by Brand New - 95 plays
19. The Freshman by The Verve Pipe - 95 plays
20. Kiss Me by Ed Sheeran - 94 plays
21. Mae by The Gaslight Anthem - 92 plays
22. From Eden by Hozier - 91 plays
23. Ho Hey by The Lumineers - 91 plays**
24. I'll Be Seeing You by Billie Holiday - 90 plays
25. Dead Sea by The Lumineers - 90 plays

Honorable Mentions:
26. Above The Bones by Mishka - 90 plays
27. Set The Fire To The Third Bar by Snow Patrol - 90 plays
28. The Galway Girl by Steve Earle - 90 plays
29. I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Whitney Houston - 90 plays

It's fun to look back at the old list and see how my music tastes have changed, as I've discovered new musicians or gone through lulls in listening to certain bands. I think I'll always love these songs. Even if I go through times where I don't feel like listening to these bands at all, eventually I'll rediscover them and it'll feel like coming back home. Certainly this is only a small representation of the music that I listen to and greatly appreciate. It'd probably be more interesting to see a list of the top 50 or 100 played because I'm sure that would have varied much more over the years. Most of these have been near the top since the very beginning and I doubt some will ever really change that much.

What are your top played song? Do you think they represent your current music taste or a broader timeline?

-S

*fun fact: I chose this video because that Bonnaroo live stream was where I first discovered The Avett Brothers. I like to rewatch that performance every now and then to get a sense of the magical energy I felt that day, even from hundreds of miles away through a computer screen. My love has only grown for these guys and the beautiful music they create.

**After searching the interwebs for a while I was saddened to discover they must have taken down the original video. That recording (which I obsessively watched for months before they even released the song for purchase) was another favorite of mine. I was instantly captivated by the raw joy you could see floating around the performance. It honestly looked like they were having a blast and although I understand why they might take it down to get people to watch the official music video instead, I'm sad it's no longer available. The one I linked to just isn't the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment