Saturday, May 23, 2015

Bout of Books 13.0 Wrap-Up

Hey Guys!

If you saw my last post you'll know I participated in my first Booktube readathon last week. Since I didn't feel like making a wrap up video for just a couple of books I thought I'd mention it here on the blog. I honestly had no idea how many books I'd manage to finish within the seven days. I'm not the fastest reader and had other stuff going on all week long. I did however managed to finish two whole books and about 3/4th of a third. Like I said, not the greatest but also not a complete failure either.

The two books I completed were To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway and the graphic novel Boxers by Gene Luen Yang. The third almost completed book was One More Thing by B. J. Novak.


Honestly I couldn't make up my mind on To Have and Have Not. Since it was my first Hemingway, I didn't know what to expect and I never really came to a conclusion with my feelings about his writing. I will read more of his works and have to decide later. I don't know why, but I was surprised at the differences between the movie and the book. Overall the story was enjoyable but it was all the little characteristics that bugged me; his casual use of racial slurs and his use of female characters purely for their emotional response to the storyline of the male characters, among other things. I realize he wrote this in a different time period, but I don't think it's useful to always use that as an excuse not to bring it up.

As far as Boxers is concerned, I loved Gene Luen Yang's artistic style. His art managed to be simplistic but detailed at the same time and the colors he used were beautiful. The story was also well done, but I can't say too much because I don't know anything about that part of history. I'd love to hear people's ideas of the novel who have studied the Boxer Rebellion and Chinese history.

Lastly, I may not be done with One More Thing but I can already say this book is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. B.J. Novak is a brilliant writer who manages to create so many witty and thought provoking stories. This collection has a voice of its own and I've already recommended the book to both my parents. I'd really love to get my hands on the One More Thing audiobook because I have a feeling listening to Novak read these stories would make them even better.

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment