Monday, February 3, 2014

Trying to Appreciate Thoreau


“Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth.” 

I've been reading Walden for the past week and am struggling to get through the book. I like Thoreau's ideas and philosophies (which is why I keep reading), but his writing is so dry. It's been a challenge just to stay awake while reading, let alone focused on the page. I read Life Without Principle last year and don't remember having this problem. Oh well, I don't plan on giving up on this one any time soon.


I've also been trying to appreciate winter as much as I can while it's here (the season isn't about to leave any time soon), but that's another struggle. The above picture was taken some time last week. We have even more snow now. At least snow is pretty to look at when it covers everything and glitters in the sun.

Do you keep reading books even when they're hard to get through? What are your thoughts on Thoreau?

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment