Wednesday, May 29, 2013

About How I "Hate" Running

I always forget how horrible running is when I haven't done it in a while. I just got back from a 2.5 mile run/walk that took me 40 minutes total and just felt awful the whole time. I usually try not to put much thought into what others think of me while I'm exercising in public, but today I'm sure it was obvious that I just wasn't feeling it.

I feel like running is one of those ideals. Most people I know, when they want to "start working out again" just start running like it's something easy to pick up. If they can't run for a full mile they come close to it and running a 5k without walking seems like a random afternoon workout and not a big deal like it is to me. Sometimes I feel like everyone and their mother can run faster, longer, better than me (I don't even know if what I'm doing can really be considered running). Then I try to remind myself that I'm not the only one that feels this way, and the more often I run the easier running will become. After a while I can even trick myself into thinking I "like" running.

Running has never come easily to me. Ever since I was little I despised running. My legs are short, my lungs are weak, my knees are bad, and I'm prone to shin splints. In fact, every time I've stopped running in the past has been because of either knee or shin pain. The only that has improved is the tricks I've learned to prevent these injuries for at least a longer period of time. I consider every pain and injury a learning experience. New shoes, insoles, tape, foam rolling, stretching, cross training, not pushing too hard too soon; these things have all become important for me to remember. If I'm going to run and keep my body in good working order, I have to take precautionary measures.

The most important thing to remember is: everyone's body is different. I can't compair myself and my running goals to other people. It is okay to start off slow and walk a lot to begin with. And lastly, doing something is always better than doing nothing. Just don't give up, before you can try.

-S

1 comment:

  1. I am a running hater.. but I still find myself doing races with friends or running in my workouts. I love this post! It definitely doesnt come easy to me, either.

    ReplyDelete