Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Greatest Olympic Athlete of all Time

The Olympics is always about witnessing history, and Michael Phelps has certainly made his mark in history. The man is an inspiration to people everywhere. Four Olympics, 22 medals, all those broken records and he's only 27.

This picture is currently my computer background (I had to switch out Lochte for Phelps under these circumstances) 

I can't imagine a summer Olympics without Michael Phelps. All of my good vivid Olympic memories have included his presence and things just won't be the same without him there in the future. My cousin and I were talking about it last night and about the first time we noticed Phelps. He was probably the reason I started paying attention to the Olympics. I watched the 2000 and the 2004 Olympics at my cousins and it was there we began joking about "that one swimmer with the butt crack pants." 

I'm pretty sure these were the pants I'm talking about

In 2008, I was stuck in the U of M hospital due the infection from my surgery for most of the Olympics, and Michael Phelps (and Ryan Lochte) was the person who kept me going in there. Almost two week was a long time stuck in a hospital bed, but Phelps gave me something to get excited about and distract me. If he could manage to win 8 gold medals, I could survive being poked and prodded. I felt connected to be in a town where he spent so much time, and to watch him achieve a goal he had obviously worked so hard for. I remember my parents always telling me I needed to sleep, but I wouldn't let myself miss any of his races.

He always seems to be smiling

Phelps and Lochte always talk about the importance of setting goals. I've always tried to make lists and set goals for my life, big or small. Even if the goals seem way out in left field I think it's important to have something to work towards. If you don't have goals what drives you to live and become better? To me Michael Phelps isn't someone to look up to strictly for his swimming but for the way he seems to be as a person. It'll be interesting to see what he sets his sights on next.

4x100 medley relay (his 22nd medal)

Congratulations Michael Phelps! You're an awesome human!

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss

- Phelps Phan Phorever!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment