Friday, January 1, 2016

Happy New Years!

I keep forgetting that today is the last day of 2015. It just doesn't seem possible that an entire year has gone by already. When I sat down to write this post I tried to think of all the important things that happened in this past year, but nothing stuck out to me. Certainly things happened in my life; I grew older, wiser, and more experienced than I was last year at this time, but I didn't find a dream job, buy a house, get married, or experience any of those big life changes some people my age are experiencing. Guess what though, I made it through another year in one piece and that's pretty great too!

I turned 25 this year which still doesn't sound right coming out of my mouth. I never thought I'd be where I am now at 25 but I don't think it's a bad thing. In fact I'd say this past year has kept me pretty happy overall and that in and of itself is a major step forward. Sure I have my days, or my weeks, but nothing like previous years. I have read 70 books this year, the most I've ever read in a years time. I started a Booktube channel on Youtube. I have reunited with friends I haven't seen in a while. I spent more time outside. I survived the big laptop crash of 2015. I even joined a book club. I have become more confident in myself and my ideas and more comfortable in my own skin. So maybe it's not important that my year wasn't punctuated with big life changes but that I was able to appreciate the every day occurrences.

Last year I spent NYE with one of my best friends and my family. We watched New Years Rockin' Eve on TV and drank sparkling wine. This year my friend is in Texas at the Cotton Bowl and I'm ringing in the New Year with my dad because he is the only one who managed to stay awake this long. We are both reading and only occasionally looking up to check the time. I wouldn't choose to ring in 2016 any other way.

So cheers to the end of 2015 and I wish you all a hopeful beginning to 2016!

“May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.” - Neil Gaiman

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment