Thursday, June 25, 2015

5 Reasons My Dad is the Best

So this post is a little late for Father's Day, but I figure it's never too late to celebrate my dad.


1. My dad and I may have our differences but he's never been pushy about his opinions. One characteristic both my parents exemplify is being kind and respectful of everyone, even when you argue or hold differing opinions on a subject. What great role models.

2. My dad has always been supportive of my dreams and aspirations. While my mom is the emotional and mental support my dad has always been the one to help me follow through, even if that means having to do it with me. When I wanted to run a 5K my dad ran the race next to me. When I wanted to go on a long distance bike ride my dad was the navigator, planner, and my training partner. My dad is always reminding me that I'm stronger than I think. He's helped me accomplish so much and I couldn't be more grateful.

3. He's resourceful. If my dad wants something done, he does it himself. He does his research and makes the item he wants instead of rushing out to buy one from the store. My dad has taught me the value in learning how to fix things or making something new out of the resources you already have. He is always fixing stuff like my car or the house (and teaching me something new in the process). 

4. Since my dad is always figuring out how to do things himself, he is a great wealth of practical knowledge. If I have a problem I usually call him and he's know exactly what to do. I think he's smarter than he believes.

5. Lastly, my dad knows exactly how to keep me calm. For a girl who has anxiety issues and gets easily stressed, having a dad who can make you feel at ease in certain situations is a big deal. My dad was the one who taught me how to drive (well besides my driving instructor). My mom gets anxious about other people driving in general so my dad was the one who got stuck with the copiloting duties in my early days of driving. There's just something about being around my dad that makes me less anxious. He's very rational and level headed. He's also a great spider killer. I once called my dad from three hours away screaming because a giant spider was running around the bedroom floor of my apartment and I was too afraid to kill it with my hands.

When I made this list for Mother's Day I kept trying to think of what I could write about my dad for Father's Day. Even though my parent's approach each characteristic in different ways, they are both creative, intelligent, hard working, great teachers, and supportive parents.

Happy Father's Day!Thanks for being so great Dad!

Love you
-S

No comments:

Post a Comment