Thursday, January 12, 2017

December Favorites

The holiday season is typically jolly but winter tends have a negative effect on my mood. So far, this winter has been especially cold, dark, and snowy, and it has me wishing I never have to leave the comfort of my bed again. In December I wanted to fill my time with entertainment that captivated me and made me forget all about the weather. Luckily that was pretty easy to find.


Podcasts, podcasts and more podcasts. I've been on a huge podcast kick since last month. Mostly Gilmore Guys, Ladies Who Lunch, WTF with Marc Maron, Anna Faris is Unqualified, and The Nerdist. I can't get enough.

Jane the Virgin. I started watching this show at the beginning of December and sped right through the first two seasons. Jane the Virgin is an hour long dramedy that mimics a telenovela. Although things can get a little crazy and over the top, it does not shy away from real life issues. I had heard nothing but good things since the show originally aired and it did not disappoint. If you haven't seen Jane yet, go watch it. Right Now. And no, I'm not caught up with any of season 3 so no spoilers.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. In the past I've mentioned my mom's long term obsession with Star Wars and the family memories I have growing up with the films. When Rogue One came out this year my mom and I were both busy and we weren't able to see the film opening night. Honestly I wasn't even sure I wanted to see the film in theaters, but when my brother mentioned going to see it as a family my mom guilt tripped me into going along. Thankfully Rogue One was spectacular. Now I can't believe I almost missed it.


Bluetooth Speaker. I got a Bose portable mini speaker for Christmas and have been loving it. I now have mini surround sound while watching Netflix on my laptop.

Troye Sivan's Blue Neighborhood album. This album came out in 2015 but I only listened to the entire album for the first time last month. All the music on Blue Neighborhood feels dreamy and youthful in a way that reminds me of summer time or warm vacations. There is something comforting and nostalgic about Troye's music that took me from dancing to total relaxation and back again.

Kindred by Octavia Butler - Best book of December if not the whole year. Kindred is a modern classic that was originally published in 1979. The novel follows Dana, an African American woman living in the 1970's, who travels back in time to meet her ancestors. This story took off right from page one and had me hooked the entire time. It's a sit on the edge of your seat, stay up until 3 AM, give you all the feels kind of book. I read Kindred for January's book club meeting and I can't wait to discuss these characters with the group.


My last favorite of December,
Holiday spirit and Christmas traditions. The holiday season is usually filled with warmth and cheeriness, but this year seemed more merry than usual. I was amazed with the number of people who made a point of telling me "Happy Holidays," "Merry Christmas," or "Happy New Year" while I was at work. Each time someone said something nice it brought a smile to my face. It's the little things that make that time of year special. One of my favorite holiday traditions over the last four or five years has been watching the movie White Christmas at the State Theater with my friend Sandy. Now I get to experience one of my favorite classics with one of my favorite friends. Christmas traditions and all the lovely holiday decorations also made this year special. My family made new traditions by spending Christmas day at my parent's house instead of my Grandparent's like we've done ever since I can remember. The change was different but the day was just as fun! My dad and I even made a new egg casserole dish in addition to our traditional Christmas breakfast.


December wasn't too bad in the end. Thankfully I had plenty of help getting me through. I'll probably be enjoying some of these favorites throughout January as well!

- S

No comments:

Post a Comment