Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The One Where I Do It For A Month

The other day I was thinking about how I never make my bed anymore. My mom always asked my brother and I to make our beds as kids but as we got older she never really enforced those rules. Since I spend the majority of my free time on my bed, properly making it every morning seems useless. It's been years since I've made my bed on a day when I didn't change the sheets.

I read, watch movies, and play on my computer more often than I sleep in my bed. In an attempt to distance other activities from where I sleep and force myself to spend more time outside of my bedroom, I'm going to try to make my bed more often. I do think that making your bed can be a productive way to start the day. Having tidy sheets always made me feel like my room, and my life, was that much cleaner and more organized.


Starting tomorrow morning April 1st, I will be making my bed every day for a month. Ultimately I'm hoping this behavior will spill over and continue happening after April turns into May. We'll see what happens.

Some people say it takes just 21 days to form a habit. That myth has been disproven, but one month seems like the perfect amount of time to try something new. I love challenging myself; so when I decided to try making my bed every day for a month, I immediately started making a list of other behaviors I could try for 30 days.

Those ideas include:

  • Get up at 6:00 am
  • Follow along with an at home yoga video
  • Wear lipstick
  • Not buy any coffee drinks
  • Meditate
  • Eat a homemade dinner (this one seems like it would take the most planning)
  • Post a blog entry
  • Vlog
  • Doodle
  • Take a selfie


That's it for now, but I will try to keep thinking of ideas. These are all habits I'd love to increase in frequency, but I know it's unrealistic to start doing them all at once. Hopefully this monthly challenge idea will help me stagger my habit building. And if I don't complete the challenge, or I give up after the month is over at least I can say I tried.

-S

What's something you would do for a month? What habits are you looking to improve on in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment