Saturday, January 10, 2015

Books of 2014 Wrap Up

2014 was quite the year in books. This was the first year I didn't have any required reading for school so all the books were chosen for my own reading pleasure. Although I didn't quite reach my Goodreads Challenge goal of 35 books for the year, I did manage to finish 33 books within the twelve month time. I also read about 1000 more pages than I did in 2013 (which is pretty damn awesome if I do say so myself).


In order by date finished the 33 books are as followed.

  1. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  2. Night by Elie Wiesel
  3. The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart
  4. Walden and Other Writings by Henry David Thoreau
  5. 101 Secrets for Your Twenties by Paul Angone
  6. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
  7. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
  8. Breakfast at Tiffany's and Other Stories by Truman Capote
  9. Blankets by Craig Thompson
  10. Surprised by Joy/The Four Loves by C. S. Lewis
  11. The Bungalow by Sarah Jio
  12. Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
  13. Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
  14. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
  15. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón 
  16. Seeking Her by Cora Carmack
  17. Finding It by Cora Carmack
  18. The Circle by Dave Eggers
  19. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
  20. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
  21. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
  22. Fracture Me by Tahereh Mafi
  23. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
  24. Where She Went by Gayle Forman
  25. The Last Camellia by Sarah Jio
  26. Good-Bye, Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson
  27. The Ticking by Renée French
  28. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  29. Yes Please by Amy Poehler
  30. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
  31. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling
  32. Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
  33. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde



Four out of the 33 were graphic novels (does Hyperbole and a Half count because I totally counted it). Two of them were audiobooks (Game of Thrones and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me). Two of them were novellas. Eight out of the 33 were non-fiction books, which makes 25 out of the 35 fictional stories. I also reread The Fault In Our Stars by John Green and Finding It by Cora Carmack this year.

It's incredibly hard to choose a favorite out of all the books. If I had to choose, my favorite fiction book of the year would be The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón and my favorite non-fiction book would be Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh. Both books went above and beyond all of my expectations. The Shadow of the Wind was beautifully written and kept me guessing the entire time. The story exquisitely mingled a world of books, mystery, love, and murder on an old Spanish backdrop. I can't wait to continue with the series this year.

Although I managed to read a number of really funny non-fiction books this year, including Yes Please and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me, neither of them topped Hyperbole and a Half. At times I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants, but it also went beyond laughter into a place that I connected to so deeply it felt like Brosh was drawing my own life. Who knew someone drawing stories about their own life could be so uplifting and absolutely hilarious? Actually I'm sure a lot of people knew that but if you haven't read Hyperbole and a Half yet go check it out.

For 2015 I once again set a Goodreads Challenge goal of 35 books. You can follow all of my progress and reviews on Goodreads. Now I better go get started. Happy reading!

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment