Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Art of Asking

Hey guys,

So it's no secret that I watch a lot of YouTube videos... like all the time. There's some amazing content on the internet and it's wonderful to see the way technology positively effects our lives. Some days it seems like the internet is only full of negative people who lack the ability to respect others, but that's just not the case. The internet connects people and allows for a new level of creative development.

Every now and then I like to re-watch Amanda Palmer's TED talk. I have so much respect for people who dedicate their lives to art and that sort of creatively driven lifestyle.


I was having a conversation with one of my closest friends the other day about the people in our lives who are just genuine people. You know who I mean? People who are just nice to everyone and don't seem to have any ulterior motive for helping others. People who are unapologetically themselves and truthful about who they are, seemingly without caring what other people think of them. Those people aren't perfect, but they also don't pretend to be perfect. Amanda Palmer seems to be one of those genuine people. She covers a lot in her TED talk, from her music career, to making money, to allowing yourself to trust strangers. One of my favorite parts about her presentation is how she encourages people to ask for help.

I've never liked the idea that asking for help was a form of weakness. Yes, asking for help can leave you vulnerable, but it can also lead to so many wonderful opportunities and connections. No one can get through life purely on their own. We all need help at some point. Allowing yourself to connect with other people is so important.

So maybe I've watched Amanda Palmer's TED talk too many times, but much like her husband, Neil Gaiman's, graduation speech it never ceases to inspire me to be the best and most sincere form of myself possible.

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment