Friday, June 13, 2014

Interrogating My Bookshelves

Book Riot contributor, Peter Damian recently wrote an article called An Exercise In Interrogating My Bookshelves inspired by the following comic by Tom Gauld.

I found the comic particularly funny because once I starting thinking about my bookshelf it seemed incredible accurate. So I thought I would follow Peter's lead and answer the following questions about the books on my own shelf.

Read? Of course there's a ton of books on my bookshelf that I have read, but the last book I read was Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi. The book is the second novel in the Shatter Me series. I love Mafi's writing style and never wanted this book to end. The second novella, Fracture Me, and third book, Ignite Me, are both waiting on my Kindle App.

Intending to Read? This category makes up another large portion of my bookshelf. Instead I'll list the book I'm intending on reading next, which is The Diary of A Young Girl by Anne Frank. Can you believe I've never read this book? In Junior High School when everyone else I knew was reading The Diary of A Young Girl and To Kill A Mockingbird my English teacher was going off a completely different list. I've been planning on reading those books ever since then and it's about time I get down to business.

Half Read? I read half of the book Dune by Frank Herbert for an English class back in high school as a part of our summer reading assignment. Unfortunately I dropped the class because I was worried that it would cause conflicts in my schedule and take up too much of my time. It was probably a silly choice, but I can't go back now. I remember really loving Dune before I set it down and I'd love to pick it back up again at some point.

Pretend I've Read? When I was younger I would often pretend to have read more books than I do now. I still feel pressure to read the popular books or authors that everyone raves about, but there's only so many hours in the day. Despite all of that, I have noticed that I tend to act like I've already read The Lord of The Rings trilogy. The books have been sitting on my shelf for a while now, but I don't think I've read more than 20 pages of The Fellowship of The Ring. I finally read The Hobbit at the end of last year and really enjoyed it. Maybe I'll pick up The Fellowship later this year and try again.

Saving For When I Have More Time? Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. This is a rather large book and it seems like a daunting endeavor. Seeing as I'm currently reading Les Miserables (another big book), I'm waiting until I finish that before starting anything else of that length.

Will Never Read? Jane Austen's Persuasion has been on my shelf for a few years now. Since Pride and Prejudice took me SO LONG to get into, I doubt I'll ever read another Austen. Every time I consider picking up Persuasion I think about the two years it took me to finish the first half of Pride and Prejudice. I should probably just get rid of the book altogether.

Purely For Show? I have a book about Coco Chanel that I picked up at the used book store because I was going through a big fashion designer stage. As much as I want to read the book, I'm sure I won't ever get around to reading it. The book does a great job at looking really nice on my shelf though.

Read, But Can't Remember a Single Thing About It? I found The Music of Dolphins by Karen Hesse buried behind a bunch of books the other day. I remember reading it when I was younger, but I don't remember anything about the story.

Wish I Hadn't Read? A Cool Million by Nathanael West. I read this book for a class in college and it was a bit much for my taste. I didn't appreciate reading about people being scalped and the other such acts committed in the book.

How about you? Does the comic represent your bookshelves as well?

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment