Monday, September 8, 2014

Music I've Been Loving Lately

Hey Guys,
It's been all summer and I don't think I've done one music update since my Spring Playlist. Three months is a long time to cover when trying to condense my ever-changing musical taste, but I'll give it a try. A lot of the new music I discovered or chose to listen to this summer was from movie soundtracks. A great movie soundtrack might be one of my favorite things in the entire world; it's like an instant playlist, blending new with old and bringing artists that you might never discover elsewhere to the forefront of your mind.

1. Head.Cars.Bending by The 1975 
As far as I remember the first time I heard of The 1975 was from missglamorazzi in some Youtube video of her's a while back. Then my friend sent me some early videos of their's when the EP was just coming out and I fell in love with the songs Sex and Chocolate. A while later when they're full CD was released, I bought a few songs here and there, going through phases and slowly adding to the collection. Saturday night I finally broke down and bought the whole Deluxe Edition; and I have no idea why I waited this long. I think sometimes bands are like a good meal, you don't want to jam everything in your mouth at once but chew each bite slowly giving yourself time to enjoy every piece of food.

2. At Your Door by Nathaniel Walcott, Mike Mogis & Big Harp (Stuck In Love Soundtrack)
Stuck In Love is amazing and the soundtrack just added to my big, giant love for the movie. Immediately after watching the film for the first time, I rushed to my computer to check out the album. Basically every song on the soundtrack is good.

3. In Remission by The Menzingers
"If everyone needs a crutch, I need a wheelchair..." Oh Menzingers how I love you so.

4. Hero by Family of the Year (Thanks for Sharing Soundtrack)
Another movie that encompassed everything I love. Not only was it a great story, but I adore every single actor/actress in it, and the soundtrack kicked serious ass.

5. Afterlife by Ingrid Michaelson
Lights Out is definitely one of my favorite albums of this year. Ingrid is awesome and I didn't stop listening to this entire album on repeat for about a week. Like all great albums, there's a perfect balance between catchy pop songs and slow emotional melodies. Go check it out.

6. I Want What You Have by Willamette Stone (If I Stay Soundtrack)
I finally got around to reading If I Stay last week and loved how strong of a role music played in the story. Mia, her parents, Teddy, and Adam's lives all revolve around creating and appreciating music (something I can definitely relate to). I figured most of the music on the soundtrack I'd already own, but I was still excited to hear the songs from Adam's band. I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea (it did take me a bit to decide whether I actually liked it or not), but I think they nailed down what I had expected from a popular high school band that's still developing their sound. The film also has a great cover of The Smashing Pumpkin's song Today.

7. Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85: 1. Adagio - Moderato by Jacqueline du Pré, London Symphony Orchestra & Sir John Barbirolli
Since The Brothers Karamazov takes more focus than usual to read, I've had to be more selective with the type of music I listen to while reading. Anything with lyrics distracts me too much from the words at hand, and I catch myself zoning into the music more so than the book. After reading If I Stay I felt inspired to listen to more cello music and this famous Elgar concerto performed by Jacqueline du Pré was a great place to start.

8. Afire Love by Ed Sheeran
Ed Sheeran is another artist that can do no wrong in my book. Pretty much everything he's released, I've felt a connection to. He's such a talented musician.

9. The Last Thing On My Mind by Stark Sands ft. Punch Brothers (Inside Llewyn Davis Soundtrack)
It wasn't really a surprise to me that I loved this film or it's soundtrack. A good folk song always gets me. I watched the film back around Oscar times, but wasn't able to get my hands on this album until last month.

10. Two Fingers by Jake Bugg
I first discovered Jake Bugg when his song Simple As This was on The Fault In Our Stars Soundtrack. That song quickly became one of my new favorites and I knew I had to get my hands on more of his music. Bugg has a unique voice that really sets his music apart from other songs of his kind. Bugg released a few albums now and they're all gold nuggets.

What's your favorite music from this summer? What songs have you been loving lately?
-S

No comments:

Post a Comment