Saturday, August 2, 2014

Missing Friends

Growing up is strange and in the midst of constant life changes, the friends we have don't always stay the same either. Despite being aware of these facts, the knowledge of them doesn't make it any easier to accept. I don't know what it is lately, but I've really been missing my friends. I'm sure I'm not alone in this feeling and that plenty of people know what I'm talking about. It's kind of like my last post, just another part of life every twenty-something goes through at one point or another. Everyone tells you these things, but you really can't prepare for any post-college woes (that makes it sound so dramatic) until you're already experiencing them.


At this point, my close friends are all experiencing life in different parts of the country. They're scattered through the states and I couldn't be more proud to see them following their dreams. My girlfriends who know my deepest secrets, share my strongest bonds, and who I could always depend on for a good time are no longer close enough for last minute coffee runs or midday adventures. Now that I've been back in Traverse City for a while, I'm starting to realize just how lonely I've become here. Every person needs to have friends in their area they can hang with on an off day or call up for a quick drink. I'd love to have a friend to go to yoga class with me or someone to ride my bike with who isn't my dad. No offense to my family, because I love them and I'm every so grateful that they include me in their plans, but sometimes I feel like the last minute pity invite. My brother and his friends are always going off doing fun stuff together and it makes me miss having friends like that. I feel so pathetic when one of his friends asks me if I'm going to some event around town and I have to say no because I never have anyone to go with.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this post has included enough self pity for one day. If you're still reading though, do you have any advice on making new friends in a town you grew up in? I'm sure it's not all that different than making friends in a new town, but I'd still love to hear from you guys. Or if you have ever felt the same way, let me know.

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment