Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Add to the List

I had a wonderful girl's night yesterday with my friend Sandy. We ate pizza, drank wine, and watched We Bought a Zoo (movie number 13). It was adorable! I honestly had no desire to go see this movie in theaters, but when Sandy suggested it I wasn't about to say no. It's always nicer when something is better than expected. Now I want to buy a zoo, minus the exotic snakes. I'd give the movie 4 out of 5 stars.

Next thing to talk about is my reading list. 13 movies (out of 365) and 4 books (out of 50). I feel like it would have been much smarter to count all the movies I was watching instead of just ones I'd never seen before. Oh well, it's not about the destination exactly. Hopefully I can catch up a little on my reading list during my time off of school.

Anywho.... what I really was going to talk about was how I finished Catcher in the Rye. I never read this in high school or anything, but it's one of my cousin's favorite books so I thought I'd give it a try. Thank god I did. This may possibly be my new favorite book of all time. Don't get me wrong, this book is depressing as all get out, but it's a wonderful read. The whole book follows Holden Caulfield's story after he gets kicked out of yet another school and decides to go back to New York City alone before the term finishes. Holden hates on just about every person he meets/knows, even if he likes them he doesn't. He is alone in this big city with no one to call, it's quite sad. And when you think he finally finds a guiding light in this old english teacher he had, the man ends up being a complete creep (it's a total let down). His kid sister, Phoebe, is really the only person that makes him happy (children in general I guess). The book is full of all these great metaphors, true high school english class style (cue red hunting hat). I guess there's just so much in Holden that I personally identified with, which made me love the book even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment