Saturday, December 24, 2016

Christmas Lists Are For Kids?



This is the first year I've gone without making a proper Christmas list. Ever since I was a small child I've made Christmas lists of epic proportion. Lists that were long, and detailed, and contained enough present ideas for five or more Christmases combined.

I'm no Dudley Dursley; I never expected my parents to buy me every present on the list, but I was particular. As the years go by the list has gone through several changes, from American Girl dolls and Barbies, to dance accessories and Pottery Barn Teen decor, to clothes and Apple products galore. When my parents started asking me last month what I wanted for Christmas this year, I completely blanked. For the first time ever I realized there was nothing I wanted that they could actually give me.

All the items I could think of this year were either too much for a Christmas gift, or just plain impossible. A spare $10,000 to help pay off my student loans faster. A trip to Scotland for my mom and I (or the whole family). A new car. Tickets to Hamilton: An American Musical. A significant other to love and spend Christmas with next year.

Maybe some people have the luxury of asking for, and receiving, a car for Christmas, but I know my parents can't afford a gift like that. Besides, what I really want is to be working a job that makes me enough money to afford my own car and gives me the ability to buy a new computer before this one gives out. I want financial freedom. I want my own tiny house. Unfortunately these aren't items for a Christmas list, more like Life wish list.

So I don't really want or need anything for Christmas this year, except maybe a couple pairs of socks. Is this what happens to everyone as they get older? Does this mean I'm officially an adult?

Have a very Merry Christmas and joyful holiday season!

- S

No comments:

Post a Comment