Friday, November 13, 2015

Past The Weather


I was at work last night trying to write drafts of blog posts in my head. It was windy and cold yesterday and my brain kept wanting to start off with the weather. What a cliche. You'd think I'd be able to write a better introduction these days than a description of the weather. The weather is something you chat about with strangers to make things less awkward, and granted most people on the internet are strangers, one of these days we need to get past the pesky small talk and jump into the good stuff.

I'm still amazed that I've had this blog for five whole years now. My first blog post was November 5th, 2010 when I was still under the impression that this was a fitness blog. I haven't always been faithful to writing, and I certainly haven't been faithful to writing about fitness. This blog has morphed into something obscure even to me. I never know what I want to write about anymore. Life I guess? Everything. I always tell myself I'm going to blog more. I'll take more pictures and post every day but that never happens. It's okay. I forgive myself but that doesn't mean I'm ready to give up.

When I first started the blog my intention was to keep a daily schedule but I soon ran out of ideas. I lost momentum. I had nothing good to say so instead of saying whatever else there was I didn't say anything at all. Now I realize playing it safe, not writing because I didn't feel like I had a voice, waiting only for those times I thought I could produce something worthwhile was actually the wrong choice. When you wait for inspiration you end up silencing yourself for longer than you think. When it comes to blogging, or really anything in life, I'm no expert, but I do know that creating is like exercise. The best way to achieve success is to keep a routine.

So I can't promise to blog about one aspect of life specifically. I'm also sure there will be a fair share of less than stellar posts along the way, but after five years of blogging maybe it's time to start trying to open up. Maybe we can get past the weather and on to the good stuff.

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment