Saturday, May 30, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend

Hello Everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. This post is a little late, but I wanted to document all the fun that was had last week. I spent my weekend relaxing and drinking copious of Starbucks. On Friday afternoon my family, sans brother, drove down to Bloomington-Normal, IL for my cousin's graduation party. I love Normal because it has great record stores, lots of cute little shops, and my aunt and uncle have a pool we can never pass up.


We stopped in Grand Rapids on the way down to take advantage of the Memorial Day sales. I managed to find lots of pieces I loved at J. Crew (which I never go into because of the steep prices) and walked out with a couple shirts. I also went and ordered about four more items online the next day because I needed petites that weren't available in the store. I'm excited to finally have some new additions to my wardrobe. Now all I need are a pair of summer pants/capris for work and a good pair of sandals. While in Grand Rapids we also stopped into the Lush Cosmetics store. I've bought my mom a couple bath bombs, but she had never been in their actual store before. I think she was really impressed by the whole experience. Both my mom and I tried out their Mask of Magnaminty and I ended up buying a small pot of that for myself. I also got a sample of the Dark Angel face wash and the Vanishing Cream moisturizer. I love Lush products and was bummed we didn't have more time to spend in the store (we ended up taking a long time other places and my dad wanted to get back on the road). The rest of the night was spent driving, during which I got some reading done and started listening to More Than This by Patrick Ness once it got dark.


On Saturday my dad and I went to the record stores in Uptown where I found a used White Album from The Beatles. I've had my eye on one at our local record store in TC, but it was quite expensive. Luckily the stores down in IL tend to be more reasonably priced and this one was much more in line with my budget. I also grabbed a Diana Ross and the Supremes Anthology. Both are great records and I was excited to walk out of North Street Records with them in hand. If you're ever in the area I'd recommend a stop into North Street; they have a well rounded record selection that never disappoints.

After record shopping my dad and I had to make a stop at Starbucks for my cousins. I rarely drink Starbucks at home because I prefer the local coffee shops, but my cousins are HUGE Starbucks drinkers. When they suggest making a coffee run I am not one to turn down that opportunity, even if it's twice in one day. I don't even want to think about how much money was spent on coffee during that weekend alone. We also spent Saturday in the pool splashing around and playing volleyball games until we ripped a massive hole in the net and gave up.

The graduate and family

The graduate and Grandma

That evening the rest of the family went to Eric's graduation ceremony while I stayed home with the dogs. My grandma's dog gets anxious when she's alone and I didn't feel the need to sit through the ceremony, so things worked out quite well for the both of us.

Bailey (top), Jojo (left) and Me relaxing on the couch. 

Sunday was the day of the party. It's funny now thinking about my own high school graduation and party. Those events simultaneously feel like they happened yesterday and ten years ago (granted it has actually been seven years to be exact). Everyone getting together, seeing people you know but don't actually know, being asked the same questions over and over again. Little did I know that would be the beginning of a whole new part of life. People never stop asking you those questions, "what happens next, what's the plan, what do you want to do?" So much happens after high school but graduation and that whole time surrounding those events are equally significant. Take time to appreciate those friends that stopped by the party because that might be your final goodbye. Take time to think about those questions because even though you don't need to have all the answers at that very moment, they still need answers.

My uncle Dale, Eric, and my dad. I love this picture.

Despite a few patches of rain, Eric and his friend's party was a successful event and it's always nice to see family. There was lots of laughter and smiles to go around. Plus it's hard to beat a menu of fancy mini cupcakes and Moe's Southwest Grill. Congratulations again Eric and good luck in Utah!!

Monday was dedicated to the drive back to Michigan. Luckily for us we were heading in the opposite direction to most of the traffic. Sometimes it's difficult to remember why we celebrate Memorial Day. It's easy to think of the holiday as just another excuse for grilling out and drinking beer, but we wouldn't be able to have weekends like that without the sacrifice of so many service men, women, and families. One day out of the year just doesn't seem like enough. I am forever grateful to those individuals who serve and protect this country.



-S


No comments:

Post a Comment